Last weekend, Coralea and I spent the morning cooking up some new pasta recipes! With Valentine's Day right around the corner, we decided to try our hand(s) at heart shaped ravioli! After a little trial and error, we ended up some delicious ones (with enough to freeze for later!)
Homemade Pasta Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour (this is an estimate...you may need more!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- water (if needed)
- food processor
Who would have known that a food processor makes everything easier when it comes to making pasta dough?! A note...pasta dough is a bit subjective, so you will most likely need to add more flour. Just FYI!
1. Measure out your flour. Add flour, eggs and salt to food processor.
2. Mix ingredients until a dough ball starts to form. If needed, add more water.
3. Take out dough and add flour if still sticky.
4. Kneed dough for 5 to 7 minutes, which will increase glucose in dough. You want the dough consistency to be smooth and not sticky. Your dough is "done" when you can press down on the dough and your finger prints "pops" back up.
5. Cut dough into 4 pieces for rolling.
Heart Shaped Ravioli Recipe
- Homemade Pasta Dough (see above)
- Pasta Machine
- Heart cookie cutter
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1. Take one ball of dough
2. Roll out dough using pasta machine through settings 0 to 5/ 6 setting.
3. Place rolled out dough onto a floured surface.
4. Mix together ricotta, parmesan cheese, salt and thyme.
5. Put four little scoops of filling mixture, spaced out, on dough.
6. Take another ball of dough, and roll out using pasta machine through settings 0 to 5/6
7. Place rolled out dough on top of dough (with filling). Use fingers to seal two layers of pasta dough together, forming a little square where ricotta is.
8. Take heart cookie cutter, and cut around each of the squares of the ricotta.
9. Repeat steps 1 to 8 for another set of ravioli.
10. In a pot of boiling water, cook ravioli for 3 to 4 minutes.